Friday, May 4, 2012

Irma Vep 1996 France, Olivier Assayas

Stuff I've lost or misplaced. The original VHS inlay for Irma Vep. It has to be somewhere. And the files of the serial the movie was inspired by. I had them on an old pc but I don't know if I backed them up. And if I did where the back ups are. I'm organized in the stuff I like to keep close at hand but anything less important is a mess.

The movie. It really seems to me that it is primarily director Olivier Assayas seducing Maggie Cheung. The story is about a film director who is a fan of Hong Kong actress 'Maggie'. He invites her to France to star in a rather foolish exact remake of a silent area serial. 
The movie reflects reality in that actual real world director Assayas asked Maggie Cheung to play in his movie and ended up marrying her. The movie seems to have some scenes where Assayas tries to unbalance Maggie,who is essentially playing herself.


Playing Sonic Youth at high volume is another way of getting someone off balance.

Confronted with a very naked woman....

A completely self-involved and aggressive interviewer.

Of course Maggie Cheung is a terrific actress.

Loveable Maggie....

8


No comments:

Post a Comment