Saturday, May 19, 2012

A Bittersweet life 2005 Korea, Kim Jee-Woon

Yes, I have 3 editions of this movie. There's the one on the right which I originally bought. I loved the movie and when I saw a the Tartan version with lots of extras in a bargain bin I purchased it. Bad decision. There are some essential differences in the music score. Luckily I found a second hand copy of the original Korean special edition. One of the most tastefully packaged DVDs I have.

A gangster movie that has an image like this in it's first few minutes has to be good.

That's a beautiful ear. Reminds me of the tv-drama 'jewel in the palace' where the lead actress is constantly shot with her hair up and the sunlight shining from behind through her ears. It gives her an angelic quality. In the case of this picture from 'A Bittersweet Life' it provokes feelings of tenderness.

In this scene there are different musical scores for the Tartan edition and the director's cut. This melancholy waltz is my favourite.

What a great actor Lee Byung Hun is. And cool like a young Clint Eastwood.

A poetic gangster movie where a small spark in the hero's cold heart starts a chain-reaction of trouble.

9

No comments:

Post a Comment