Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Frazetta: painting with fire 2004 USA

The immensely talented Frank Frazetta. A look back at his life and work by the man himself as well as by artists who were influenced by him. 
Some stray thoughts I had while watching the documentary. In his later life Frazetta suffered stroke after stroke. Which makes me wonder if talent like this, being able to put this power, this almost tangible world onto paper purely out of ones imagination comes at a price. He was able to focus so completely on his work, producing his most famous paintings in burst of energy of hours after which he was exhausted. 
Frazetta was a talented athlete as well. Where he managed some impressive feats by the same mind over matter concentration.
It's wonderful, transcending the mundane flow of things when you create something and know it's good. While drawing I don't have this often. But this week I wrote a full script for a comic book story of 8 pages. While working on page 7 I realized I had something really good here. It's a kick. Now I have to draw it. That's the real hard, time consuming work.
I have this recurring dream in which I have produced my perfect comic book pages. This might be it. Of course in the dream there's always the fear that after this my talent is gone. Hopes and fears man.

  Frazetta felt most at home doing this type of cartoons. More so than his famous paintings.

Dave Stevens, Mike Kaluta and Bernie Wrightson talking about the master. Not a bad bunch of artists.

 Frazetta drawing left-handed after losing the control in his left arm because of a stroke.

The man and his paintings.

 I had a poster of this painting on my wall as a teen.

9



No comments:

Post a Comment